Thursday, May 20, 2010
Cleanliness is the new Godliness
I've been a little blue lately. When the usual tricks such as a new Elle Decor, milkshakes, flowers, and baking don't do the trick, I'm left with compulsive cleaning. This is different from the everyday cleaning. This involves some sort of purging of old crap, and possibly ironing socks and underwear.
Here's my top ten random cleaning tips, from years of compulsive cleaning.
1. If you don't already own a steam mop, buy one. They are a necessity. If you do have one, I recommend a few drop of essential oil on the cloth before beginning. It will diffuse an amazing fresh smell while you mop away. Favourites are Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit and Unwind from Saje.
2. Stainless steel is sparkling with baby oil. This also smells good. It was a random tip I discovered on line and it works like a charm!!
3. Time yourself. I found this via flylady.net. It's a great idea if you are de cluttering. I don't really have much clutter, but I use the timer for resorting closets. It makes it short, sweet, and bearable.
4. The bedroom should always be dust free. Since we spend 8-10hours a night breathing in there, it's important that it's clean. I dust mine a few times a week, especially if you have a wood framed bed!! Old socks are great for hard to dust places. Just throw one on like a mitt and start dusting away.
5. The sink is the dirtiest place in the Kitchen. It should be disinfected every night.
6. An easy cleaning tip for the bathroom is simply to keep the toilet lid down. When you flush little pieces of urine and faeces fly up and get on the floor, counters, towels. Truly disgusting. If you keep the lid down you never need to worry if the towel you've wrapped yourself in is covered with yesterdays deposits.
7. Toothbrushes can also be run through the dishwasher once a week for a good cleaning, or disinfected in a glass of mouth wash for a day.
8. Baking soda and vinegar clean almost anything!
9. Vinegar and old news paper do an amazing job on windows!!
10. For scuff marks on linoleum use toothpaste.
There you have it! My cleaning tips extraordinaire. Amazingly after scrubbing my house from top to bottom, I feel a bit better. There's nothing like chilling out in a sparkling condo that smells like jasmine and roses. Om....